SPOILERS for HOW TO WALK AWAY by Katherine Center


Margaret was paralyzed from the waist down and severely burned when Chip, just shy of getting his pilots license, crashed the plane in a windstorm.   Chip walked away without a scratch. 

Margaret ended up breaking up with Chip and fell in love with her physical therapist,  Ian.  Ian walks away, believing that it is a form of hero-worship instead of love.  Exactly one year later they meet up (at Chip's wedding) and formalize their relationship.  Ian wanted to wait to give Margaret a chance to adjust to her new normal. 

The epilogue tells us that Margaret and Chip get married, have twins, and open a very successful camp for children (in the summer) and adults (in the winter) to help them deal with their new normal.

Share your thoughts :

  1. Thank you. I am a quadriplegic and started that book because someone recommended it on good reads. I was interested in how people with disabilities are often portrayed in books; as I got further into the book, the way they discussed certain topics turn me off (because of the swearing etc.) Anyway, I thought reading it and wanted to see if any of my predictions (I am a writer as well) came. I was right about ian and Margaret. I thought they would end up together. No other views would tell me

    ReplyDelete