SPOILERS for Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell


Ellie's math tutor kidnapped Ellie and forced her to get pregnant with sperm she got off of the internet.  She was desperate to keep her boyfriend, Floyd, but couldn't keep a pregnancy.   After Ellie gave birth to Poppy she let Ellie starve to death in the basement dungeon she had been kept in for the year and a half of her captivity.   Noelle shared custody of Poppy with Floyd until Floyd tried to get permanent custody.  He realized that Noelle was off her rocker and a danger to Poppy.  In her anger, Noelle spewed the truth of Poppy's parentage and he killed her in a fit of rage. 

Floyd finding Laurel in that cafe was no mistake.  Once he realized that Noelle was telling the truth,  Floyd had planned from the very beginning to connect Poppy with her real mother's family.  Floyd left a video confession and ran away.  Where he commits suicide and Poppy lives the rest of her days with her grandmother, Laurel. 

Share your thoughts :

  1. I thought so it was all just too perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I stumbled onto your site. There are just too many positive reviews on Amazon for me to trust it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh trust me I know Cindy, I know, I purchased this novel off of amazon, and I was... rather shocked when I found out what happened, I was going to give this to my daughter for her b day, so glad I didn't as the subject matter is appauling and should not be read my little innocent eyes. if you have this comment, thank you for your time, GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I love this, tho I feel bad for Ellie, Didntshe get ran over?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy I saw this link. I read the book on my kindle, which is a great book. Didn’t understand how Ellie die until now. Ellie was starved to death. Wow what a way to go after your math tutor kidnaps Ellie. Must read this book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The reviews on Amazon gave me an idea that it had a perversity about it. I'm glad I read this. I don't think I'll continue reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book and tossed it in the Garbage. Ellie dying and decaying in Noelle's basement until the neighbors complained about the stench is gruesome - ghastly. And the pregnancy and Floyd having to kill himself shows a great lack of common sense. There are many great/good books out there but this is surely not one of them. Trash It!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. preach it sister! I hated it 0/10 would not recommend! :(

      Delete
    2. I hate to disagree with what your opinion of the book was, but I just want to add my two cents on a different perspective of the book. This is a thriller/mystery book, I didn't expect flowers and sunshine to come out of this book in the end. This book has incredible detail and I've read Lisa Jewell's books before, and I truly think it's completely unfair of you to discredit someones work that took them a long period of time to write, process, think, and create. This book is incredible and just because this is has some morbid details, doesn't make the book horrible at all, in some cases it makes it amazing.

      Delete
  7. when I was reading this thought provoking book, I personally thought that it was very anti-climactic soz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my god this book made me so anxious i felt so dirty afterwards. i literally just finished it and i feel sick to my stomach. as a writer, i cannot understand how someone could write something like this and get it published. oh my fucking god. what the fuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every other chapter of this book was slightly interesting. But truthfully, we knew the story the whole time. We were just watching it slowly play out. It was almost infuriating at certain points. And for Floyd to just dump Poppy and kill himself....didn't feel like an honest end to his story. I wouldn't reccomend this book to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally really liked this book. it was very intriguing and suspenseful. I shed a tear when Floyd killed himself because it just hit me so hard.

    ReplyDelete